Systems which incorporate a filter with an activated carbon filter medium are successfully used to remove organic compounds, chlorine and its derivatives from water. Sorption of impurities on the filter medium surface improves organoleptic indicators; such improvement is a key criterion for drinking water conditioning.
Spc promvodochistka ltd offers two series of carbon filters, y and c to be used in pfds. They differ in capacities:
• Series y – 0.5–6.4 m3h;
• Series c – 9.8–109.2 m3/h.
Carbon filter operation concept is based on sorption of undesirable impurities on the surface of filter medium grains. Activated carbon is used as a filter medium.
Currently a great number of various grades of carbon sorbents have been developed. Physical and chemical properties vary significantly depending on raw materials used for carbon production. Such variety makes selection of the particular sorbent grade easy in order to comply at best with the specified task.
|Filtration mode||Flushing mode|
Water pretreatment stage availability is a critical requirement set to smooth and efficient operation of the sorption filter; this stage is intended for removal of suspended matters and oil products from water. In the course of operation the filter capacity and efficiency decrease step-by-step. Filter medium flushing partially restores the filter to working condition. Back flow of water is used for flushing. Contaminants accumulated are washed off and discharged into the filter drainage. The main parameters of flushing include: water flow temperature, process intensity and duration. The company’s specialists are able to select the most optimal mode which in full recovers sorption capacity of the filter medium. Initial absorbance of activated carbons may be recovered only with the use of specialized equipment. Hard firing furnaces with chemical reagents are used for this purpose.
• Simplicity and reliability of the equipment;
• Possible arrangement of partial sorbent regeneration excluding filter discharge;
• Long-term operation based on one and the same filter medium; life cycle of one filter medium may be 5 years max. Depending on the activated carbon properties, working conditions and operation mode;
• Absence of sorbent secondary contamination;
• Low price of activated carbons;
• Wide range of capacities of the equipment.
In practice carbon filters are used in all sectors of industry:
• Rain and process waste water treatment;
• Water conditioning at intake stations;
• Liquid clarifying and cleaning in food and pharmaceutical industries.
Carbon filters are widely used for treatment of domestic water and advanced treatment of running and natural waters.
Spc promvodochistka ltd offers two series of carbon filters used for water treatment; these series are distinguished by the filter capacity:
• Carbon filters of y series with a range of capacities from 0.5 m3/h (пво-01fc10-s-iii-y) to 6.4 m3/h (пво-01fc10-s-x-y);
• Carbon filters of c series with a range of capacities from 9.8 m3/h (пво-01fс10-s-x-с) to 109.2m3/h (пво-01fс10-s-xviii-с).
Filters of y series are most suitable to solve tasks connected with water household use, use in cottages or in process chains with low capacities. Filters of c series are suitable to solve large scale production tasks and are capable of processing large volumes of water depending on the filter size.
Physical and chemical properties of filter media significantly impact on possibility to utilize water treatment sorption filters for solving of any given tasks:
• Raw material for manufacturing;
• Filter media particle sizes;
• Pore volume and size;
• Material density (apparent or real);
• Abrasive wear resistance
• Ash content (nonorganic impurities availability);
• Moisture content;
• Sorption capacity.
During sorbent selection one may face some challenges connected with a great number of trademarks and absence of sound standards pertaining to some parameters (such as sorption capacity). Final selection shall be made upon completion of trial filtrations with the use of various filter media.
The optimal option of carbon filler may be selected on the basis of the following recommendations:
• As far as filter media particle sizes is concerned granular (0.18-7mm) or powder (less than 0.18 mm) carbons are widely used for sorption treatment.
• Effective pore radius that fully complies with the material adsorbing capacity is 0.5 – 1.6 nm.
• Specific area shall be the largest one. Specific area of activated carbons of the best trademarks is 1 800 – 2 200 m2/g.
• Mechanical strength of sorbent grains makes significant impact if filters with high capacities are used.
• Moisture content defines convenience of works connected with carbon loading and transportation (dusting) and fire safety.